Tuesday, December 09, 2008

DC's Abominable Water

Today's Gay List Daily prompted a little research on our tap water quality. The most recent reference (August) from Andy Dehart, Director of biological programs at the National Aquarium, said, "D.C. water is abominable. It cannot sustain life..." Apparently they use DC tap water to fill the tanks, but put it through an extensive purification process first. We are supposed to drink it?

I've never been to the National Aquarium and don't even know where it is...perhaps something for the "to do" list. I'm assuming it isn't a world class aquarium since I haven't heard a single friend talk about it in 4+ years in DC. I just realized I passed the four year mark! I moved to DC on December 5, 2004! Perhaps I'll have to wait for January to officially celebrate since I was stuck in corporate housing until closing on my condo in the city. As much as we judge the B&Ts, I best not try and count my first 2 mos across the river as actual time in the District! I digress...

Earlier in the year, Sustain Lane ranked DC's tap water as endangered. It is apparently worse than both Cleveland and Detroit. I know they have the Great Lakes next door, but the Nation's Capital should be able to set an example. Last year, the EWG wrote about high levels of toxic chlorination byproducts in our water and recommended carbon filtration.

I guess the solution is either to go on using my Brita filter or to buy $14/bottle Christian Lacroix limited edition Evian as suggested by Gay List Daily. Who buys limited edition bottled water? It IS fabulously ridiculous.

3 comments:

BigTDog said...

Are you sure Sustain Lane didn't mean to refer to DC tap as endangering

Also, the aquarium is pretty cool. I like it better than the zoo.

A Special Friend said...

it's downtown in the basement of one of the government buildings.

BigTDog said...

Oh. I was referring to the National Aquarium in B'More. I hear the one in DC a'int all that.