Thursday, November 01, 2007

Happy Halloween

I went to 17th Street for the annual High Heel Race on Tuesday night, but as you can see from this picture, it was a madhouse. The streets were packed beyond any level of comfort. I instead went to Hank's Oyster Bar and had a delicious dinner with five friends. I'm not certain why so many people come to a race that lasts three minutes, but the drag queen sightings are quite hilarious.

Last night was Halloween and although I didn't leave work until nearly 8 PM, I did go meet a few friends at the Red Derby. This is a new little dive bar at the border of Columbia Heights/Petworth on 14th Street. While we didn't have any costumes, other than my ridiculous shirt, it was hat night so we each got into the Halloween Spirit. The bar is inexpensive and neighborhood themed. We'll definitely be back with our U Street peeps.

Iris and I finished up at the Derby by playing DJ. As you can imagine, the songs ranged from Pat Benatar to The Killers to Sir Mix Alot - yes we went there. While the taxi strike wasn't taking all of them off the streets and there were taxis from MD/VA picking people up, I didn't take a chance. I had my own transportation. Fortunately for Iris, I also had my extra helmet so she could ride along. It was cold! We finished the night with a drink at DC9 and then, of course, a final swallow at Solly's.

Time for work - Have a great day!

1 comment:

A Special Friend said...

you wake up far too early. And, it's possible that when dancin' and I made it home we tried to order pizza and then missed the delivery! (they called, we slept) oops.