Saturday, January 06, 2007

...there's always a story with the DMV

I waited in line barely long enough to snap the photo and mobile blog it. The cruise director motioned me on to lane 5. Not surprisingly this was the handicapped / senior citizen line, but I didn't care because I was motioned around the 1 car in front of me. The inspector came up and asked me to 'beep the horn,' which I did. Then he told me I passed and that I should drive around to the front and park in the exit to lane 5. No break light check, no turn signal check, no tire check, nothing. Just beep the horn and pass. Welcome to DC.

Normally I'd park off to the side, but lane 5 is by the door and there was a car parked between 4/5 so I did as I was told and parked in the exit. Another man came up and started screaming at me. I told him I'd already been inspected and that I was to park at the exit. He says not in the lane, "..if somebody hits you I have to fill out a report, and it's near the end of my shift and I have no time for paperwork." I asked where I should park and he directed me to the sidewalk. Now I thought perhaps I should park legally at the DMV, and I thought I was following instructions, but no. I was wrong.

After receiving my horn check sticker, I mean inspection sticker, I went inside to renew my tags. Now they did expire in July, and I thought perhaps they'd question me, but they did not. He asked if I wanted one year or two. Last time I checked you could only renew motorcycles for one year at a time and I believe my inspection sticker is for one year. I figured if he offered, I'd take it, so I said, "two." I paid him the $129 and he hands me a receipt. He then fiddled around in the drawers and said he was out of stickers so he'd just give me a windshield sticker. Now I realize that some motorcycles have windshields, but WTF? I advised that I had no windshield and he said they didn't have 2009 stickers for motorcycle plates yet (of course they don't because they only renew for one year at a time) and that I'd have to go to the C St. location and request one. I told him I didn't have time and asked if he had a 2008 sticker I could use until then. He did.

So I left the DMV with a 1 year inspection, a 2 year registration expiring in '09, a windshield sticker (which I can't display) and a license plate sticker showing '08. LBJ - and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Oh ... one more thing ... Fenty has his pic up on the website already - he should be so proud of this city. Did I mention he's really hot? I don't know why, but it feels dirty to say that; as if he's related to me or something. Just because he's the mayor shouldn't make it dirty to lust after him...should it?

I went to Eastern Market to get Lisa the other half of her typewriter earrings and some hot sauce for Todd. That place has some sauce with serious kick and flavor. The sample dude in the store remembered me from a few weeks ago when I bought some for Steve. I'll have Timmy mail that off to Chicago next week. Time to work. Yes...I'm working today. Uggh.

No comments: