Friday, October 10, 2008

Angel Falls

I finished work around 3 PM and headed to the Angel Falls Coffee Company in the faggy Highland Square neighborhood of Akron. I have no idea how long Bubba or Jeffrey will be working and I have some reports to put together from this week's work. I assumed free wi-fi and a few cups of Joe would get me through the afternoon. I didn't realize what I'd see.

First, the windows are glass block. Odd that you can't look outside from a coffee shoppe. Second, the people are very interesting:

  • A couple of Elderly Women nearly pushed my laptop off the table as they leaned over it to check out the artwork on the wall. They apologized and started a conversation about the colorful art of children.
  • A man sits across from me with giant headphones, thick plastic square glasses, and an old school CD carrying case the size of a factory lunchbox. I guess no iPod for him? He's wearing a striped hooded Mexican poncho and feverishly writing in a notebook with his left hand. His Revolutionary War style military hat is cracking me up. I'd be marginally frightened if he approached me too quickly with that pen clenched in his fist.
  • I had to sneak a phone pic of Victor (The man pictured above.) While he doesn't resemble Victor in the face, his body, his mannerisms, etc. are dead on. He jumps up and runs in and out of the coffee shoppe every few minutes like a schizophrenic three year old. The kicker...he doesn't have a laptop, but he brought his 24" iMac desktop and set it up at a table. He also has his ipod plugged in, a full keyboard, and is putering away. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
  • Speaking of cats, the Men's bathroom is decoupaged and painted with a seascape. On one wall is a carved turtle with a cat riding on its back. The cat's collar says, "Killer." Odd.

Time to go. My new friend, Todd, from Square, just rolled through and sat down to join me. I love chatting up new friends! Have a great Friday.

No comments: