Saturday, February 03, 2007

Pancakes!

The only thing I ate yesterday was a few spoons of butternut squash soup from Trader Joe's. Their boxed soups, by the way, are quite delicious, inexpensive, and I love how you just pour out the amount you want at any given time and refrigerate the rest for up to 10 days! I woke up this morning with a craving for pancakes. Odd since I never eat them, but I figured acceptable since I've been unable to swallow and eating little this week. What I'd like to know is how we have a box of Jiffy baking mix that was best if used by 12/05. That's over a year ago. Have we not used it, or even looked at the box to think about using it in such a long time?

I was hungry. I made a half batch (so as not to waste 1/2 cup of milk if it tasted awful) and it was perfectly fine. It didn't taste old or odd or anything. I did, however, throw away the rest so as not to accidentally serve expired food to a guest. This also motivated me to look through the cabinets. We had six types of chocolate powder, the oldest of which expired in 2002. It was in a cute tin so we probably didn't really check the date, but please. Fortunately we rarely drink or use powdered chocolate and they each looked like we may had taken a teaspoon out in their early years. I purged the cupboards and threw away a few dozen cans and packages of various food related items. Had to be done.

T is at work and will be leaving for Ohio when he's done. He took Monday off to meet with the developer of the condo there. Mold has infested the exterior walls and he is negotiating either a repurchase or reconstruction of the unit. What a freakin' mess. I'd love to help, but I don't have time. He needs to be responsible for something other than the laundry and his beer drinking anyway. That was mean, but didn't someone once say it wasn't mean if it was true? And this is happiness. Nearly nine years of happiness.

No comments: