Tuesday, March 24, 2009

24 de Marzo 2009


I wasn't going to blog anything from vacation until I could post my journal or at least compile a representative set of pics. This, however, needed to be posted today! We intended to go to museums but found out it was a national holiday. We participated in our first South American protest! Timmy wanted me to smile, but I couldn't when we were protesting for information on 30,000 people missing since the 70s. There were a gagillion people, some very passionate, some very sad. While we were only spectators for the most part, it was a memorable experience for sure. When it can be put together, I also captured some pretty amazing video. It is still going on, but we are now resting at the hotel. I stopped for a litre of Smirnoff, two bottles of wine, and a soda from the little store on the corner (less than $20 US total!) It's gonna be a fun night!

More info here

2 comments:

A Special Friend said...

I can't believe that you are in Beunos Aires for Madres de Plaza de Mayo protest! Unbeleivable...must be such a phenomenal experience.

Kelly in columbus said...

Wow guys! How moving! I was just listening to a hour long NPR interview with a woman who has dedicated her life's work as a forensic anthropologist in Argintina who has helped families in Argintina and elsewhere identify the bodies and causes of death of the disappeared. Take care! Hasta luego!